Wednesday, August 8, 2007

PMS? Why does EVERYONE NEED it?

I recently went ahead and purchased the last of the Harry Potter novels. I want to know what my young friends are so eagerly reading and internalizing. I was headed out to buy dinner at the local Chinese restaurant and did a quick detour (well, I thought it would be quick) into WalMart to grab the novel. It wasn't quick.

I haven't read the previous novel. I started it but just couldn't get "into" it and put it down. Didn't bother to pick it up again and don't know where it is. Thought I should probably read it, though, before the conclusion to the series. The new books were in a pile in the front of the store. Had to go to the book department for the other one.

As I took the book from the shelf, there was a gentleman standing there who gave me a rather -- I wouldn't call it disgusted look, but I could tell he thought I (or anyone) was making a mistake to buy one of "those" books.

We got talking. I could also tell he was shocked to learn I am a Believer and would actually read those books.

As I explained, though, that I know children who are reading the books, I want to be able to talk to them about it. I told him that I know families who are reading the books together, out loud, and then actually discussing the story and the use of magic together.

As we talked more, eventually we got around to "having a calling" -- he thought that perhaps mine might be to do what I'm doing with the books and the kids I know. Actually, I told him I had finally figured out my PMS and decided that everyone needed it -- even men.

If he had given me a strange look just for picking up that book, he really gave me one at that point. I then explained, and defined PMS -- which it is about time I do here at the blog since I did promise to define it "soon" after I started the blog.

PMS stands for Personal Missions Statement. And, yes, everyone needs one.

And I think all believers have essentially the same one:

Our Purpose: Know God
Our Calling: To be an Ambassador of His Love and Grace and a Steward of His Blessings
Our Office and Gifts: are to be used in fellowship with one another to encourage, edify, and exhort -- so that we can spur one another on to fulfilling our purpose and calling.

The purpose of life is to know God; to live in relationship to Him. That is the purpose of all humanity.

Our calling is to share God's gospel of love and grace with those who do not know Him, do not know the way to Him -- through faith in the work of Jesus Christ. Our calling is not to make the unbeliever more moral; a more moral life cannot "save" them. Our calling is to introduce them to the best friend anyone could ever have.

Yes, we all need a PMS. To live in relationship with God, and to help others do that too.

No comments: