Friday, August 24, 2007

My Blog Lesson for Today

**sigh**

Ever since I discovered a certain three blogs, I log on to the Net just about every day just so I can check in with those ladies, hoping they have posted something new.

Sadly, I regret to admit -- I am not that regular, or eager, to check in daily with the one friend I have who is the best friend I'll ever have. This friend will never, ever blab my secrets to anyone else. This friend will never, ever abandon me when I am depressed, grouchy, whiny, have a stuffy runny nose, feel bloated and feeling ugly and maybe even acting a bit ugly. This friend will never, ever leave me to fend for myself, even when I've gotten myself into the mess by my own stupid actions or decisions. This friend is rich -- far richer than even Bill Gates. This friend is powerful -- far more powerful than OPEC or NATO (combined). This friend is important -- far more important than any head of state, even the Queen of England or the King of Sweden.

Amazingly, this wonderful friend WANTS to be my friend. And even more amazing, to me, wants me to be a friend in return.

I mean, me? I'm not rich, beautiful, important, powerful. I cannot add anything to my friend's treasures or jewels or accomplishments. I'm not someone that anyone important or rich or powerful even takes notice of. I'm just one of the millions of minions that hope to be noticed and maybe get a handshake or a wave from the rich and powerful.

Yet, I have a friend who is rich and powerful.

And, I am not as eager to check in with this friend every day like I am with these interesting bloggers?

WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME?

No, seriously, what IS wrong with me?

If you had a friend, a best friend, like that, wouldn't you want to spend all of your time with that friend? Wouldn't you want to check in everyday at the very least to have a chat? Wouldn't you be eager to meet up with your friend as often as possible?

If you had a friend who was so much more than you were yet wanted to be your friend, wanted to have you as a friend, AND who never let you feel like you were something less than or inferior to him or her, and never made you feel like a tag-along in their shadow, wouldn't you just be head-over-heels in love with your friend?

So, why am I afraid of my friend?

It can't be that my friend knows all about me. I mean, that's one of the definitions of "friend" -- someone who knows all about you but loves you anyhow.

It can't be that my friend will scold me for staying away so long. Instead, I'll hear "Come on in. I've been hoping you would show up today! Oh, friend, I've missed you! Glad you're here now."

Could it be that it's because I didn't do what I said I wanted to do, but then later changed my mind? I doubt that. I'm pretty sure my friend would say, "Why didn't you come to me for help?" And I would say, "I wasn't sure it was what I really wanted to do after all." "You know, you can always talk these things over with me. I'll gladly listen anytime. I'll even try to point you in the right direction if you'll let me." (My friend isn't pushy.)

Is it because I think I have to change or do certain things so that my friend will keep liking me and keep on wanting to be my friend? Is it because someone else told me I'm not good enough to be friends with my friend?

I honestly don't know what keeps me away.

By now, you've probably figured out who my friend is. The God of the Universe, Jehovah Himself.

He wants to be my friend. He wants me to be His friend.

And, here I am, someone who knows an awful lot about Him but knows Him very little.

I've been working on a novel, based on a scenario of "what might have been if ..." I had made different decisions years ago. And then suddenly I began avoiding working on that story. Not because the actual decisions or consequences or subject matter I chose to be the "hot issue" of the story were troubling or difficult to write about. On the contrary. It was all hitting the computer screen almost too easily.

At first, I said I was not working on the story because I did not like the ending I had concocted and wanted a better one before I went any further. A better ending came a long and still I didn't want to write it down. Back and forth it went. For each excuse, a solution was found; and a new excuse was invented.

Finally, I knew the reason.

And it is not a happy thought.

Even though I made one decision and the character makes the opposite one, the consequences are horrifically different for us -- for her far worse than I ever faced (and I'm happy that "facing" it is just in the form of imagination and fiction for me), in the end, twenty years later, we are not that different. And, here I thought we were different. I thought I had a pretty good life and had grown in my faith. In truth, we both must face similar persistent fears and doubts, face the heartaches that have shaped us and embrace them as important aspects of who we are, and acknowledge the need for a deeper (much deeper) faith.

There is a mad sort of comfort in clinging to a rope that is studded with nails and broken glass that dangles above a black pit of unknown. The nails and glass cut and stab my palms and fingers as I cling to the rope, but the rope is strong and is known; the pain is unbearable but it is far less frightening than the pit below that is unknown, untried, unmapped, uncertain.

Both the character and I have to let go of the rope and fall into the pit. At the bottom, through the darkness, waiting for us is my Friend, who WILL catch me, who WILL hold me, who WILL protect me and love me and yes, I noticed I moved from "us" to "me" -- in the end, that's what the story is about. Her journey is the journey I must take.

Okay, that's why I am avoiding the novel. Is that why I am avoiding meeting with my friend?

It's because I have to let go of the rope and fall ...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh, My gosh, what a powerful blog. I don't know that I have ever read something so... well... there isn't words to explain that writing. Profound. I understand though, the whole thing. Every part of what you write has been something that I have pondered in my own life, since I started to attend Northwestern College.

Here is the deal, when I began school (5 years ago now) I began seeing a counselor there. Amazing woman of God. Anyway, she walked side by side with me as I worked through so many things that stood between me and my �best friend�. I remember telling her once, �He is never going to heal me� I wish I had greater faith than that�in fact, I have no faith.�

She answered, �if you don�t think that He will heal you, then why are you still try to be a Christian?�

To which I answered, �Because I know He is God and I know the truth about Jesus� what else am I supposed to do. � (Why I had no doubt about that is another HUGE story)

My counselor encouraged me with this: �Wow, I say you have a lot of faith� it takes a lot of faith to serve a God that you don�t believe will heal you of something you really need healing from.�

Point of this? Is there one?

Every time I turned around, this woman was a direct picture for me of what the love of God really looked like through Jesus. One writer says that we can know all the answers in our head but unless our head has communion with our heart, we lack the reality of the gospel in our walk. Really, if we act out the �Christian life� without believing with our hearts what the Bible describes then we will have a really hard time being real followers. Being real is part of living the life, accepting the grace and love, and extending it to others. In your writing, I see these qualities�The ability to be a real apostle.

You wrote about holding onto a rope that was cutting into your hands� I would love to know more about the rope. I would guess that the rope symbolizes Christ? Am I right there? But what do the shards of glass and nails symbolize?

I once described my journey being so difficult that it felt like I was holding on to the edge of Jesus� white gown� He was pulling me through life and I was barely holding on. Never knowing what was coming next.

Last week marked the end of my journey with my counselor. So sad to realize that a season is ending, but I came to the understanding you wrote about at the beginning of your blog�well, it is always a conviction. That I don�t check in with that Best Friend every day. Oh, my goodness, I felt so guilty. As that day drew closer and closer to go see my counselor (which had become my best friend in the last 5 years� who else could walk that close and know all the ick about one�yet still love them and encourage them) anyway, I realized the necessity.

The Spirit that lives inside my heart pointed out that times of trial that loom ahead for our world, and if I don�t have the same kind of relationship with Him as I do now with my counselor, then I would not fare well when the trials of life come. Wow, He really told me in my heart that He just wanted me to feel as free with Jesus to pour out all the ick and let Him walk beside me� just Him (as He was walking beside my counselor and I the whole time). The last day with my counselor was a peaceful day�which I didn�t think would happen, as our time was ending because she is moving back to England (where she came from)

And for the record, Healing did come. The area of my life that I didn�t think would ever find healing; it did get healing. Do you know what fixed it� Love. Real Love. The love of God through His people.

One more thing� past Choices:

I also have come to realize that our choices do make a difference, but there is a verse that promises He will work All things out to glorify Yahweh God, in the end, for those who love Him. One woman prayed with me for healing and she said suddenly� �Heather, I know that you have anger in your heart over all that you had to endure as a child and all the pain you had to see, but know this: God knew what you needed to experience to get you to the place where He is taking you. Everything has had a purpose, everything was necessary to prepare you for your call. A call designed only for you.� I don�t know if that encourages you, but it did me� all my choices and all the things that have happened have been to prepare me for my own special calling. Hmmmm�. Makes me want to know what it is�makes me want to talk to my best friend about it� but� I don�t very often still.

He is faithful to complete the good work he started. One day I will have a hard time NOT talking to my best friend� it will be all I want to do. He will bring me to that place, just like he healed me from addictions, childhood trauma, anger, and �.here goes� and just like he healed me from the one thing I never thought he could heal me from � homosexuality. But, in his timing, he will do all we need Him to do, if we just keep fighting the good fight.

I know this was long winded�go ahead, say it� �GET YOUR OWN BLOG!!!!�

New Life Church in Amery is a good Church. And if you go, Glen and Mary Strom are wonderful people to know�they have been part of the healing love that I have needed. And the pastor is amazing, with an amazing testimony. They are real people with real relationships with Jesus. Perfectly imperfect people.

Okay, off the soapbox now, and back to work.

God bless you and your family.

Heather
hstoffel@northlandins.com